Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

I love red beans and rice because it is such an easy dish with lots of flavors and a good way to get veggies into my little family. Here is a quick easy recipe I have that is a winner every time.

Ingredients:
1 lb. Kielbasa cut into 1/4 inch slices (I use precooked hot cajun andouille chicken sausage)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (14-16 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups brown rice cooked as directed on packaging

How To:
Cook sausage in a pan with a little olive oil over low/medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. At this point I wipe out the grease in the pan just because it makes me feel better. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook over medium-high heat until tender (about 5 minutes). Add beans, tomatoes, oregano and black pepper; reduce heat and simmer for 20 min. stirring occasionally. Serve over the rice or mix the rice into the sausage mixture. Makes 6-8 servings and is great for leftovers. I sometimes like to top mine with a little cajun seasoning mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment